Thursday, June 5, 2008

on: Crafting Brands



I received a Briggs and Riley Carryon Garment Bag as a gift for my birthday last month. First things first, this bag is clever. I have a garment bag that I almost never use because I can't carry it on. For most trips, it's too big, and one the trips where I want to check a bag, I usually take something the size of a duffle. This garment bag folds up into a carryon size, and unlike many compromise products, this one actually pulls it off.

But something else about the bag "fell into my lap" when I was putting it into the closet at my hotel. The guarantee card. The first thing that struck my eye was the brilliantly executed design of the card, bright orange highlighted with blue and gray. And then the real kicker, check this out:

"If your Briggs & Riley bag is ever broken or damaged, even if it was caused by an airline, we will repair it free of charge. Simple as that!"

That is what branding is all about. Do the right thing, do it the first time, and over deliver. You want customers to want your product, give them something worth wanting. Give them an experience worth experiencing. No manufactured BS. No "viral" marketing, just good 'ol Main Street common sense. Take care of your customer and they will take care of you. That's the best branding I know.

No comments: